Prenatal Class Videos by Holiday Tyson
Prenatal Breastfeeding Basics
This online class is offered by the International Breastfeeding Centre in Toronto.
- Wanting to get started off on the right foot with breastfeeding? This class covers how to get breastfeeding started off on the right foot, common myths and what is normal for the newborn, breastfed baby.
- Get all the breastfeeding information you need in this 3-hour interactive class led by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
- Whether this is your first baby or the newest addition to your growing family, this class is for everyone! We recommend attending in your third trimester.
- Did you struggle with breastfeeding? How to address concerns before your next baby arrives.
- This class is intended for parents whose breastfeeding experience didn’t go as planned or desired. If it’s your 2nd (or more!) baby and challenges with previous babies include not latching on, needing to supplement, exclusively pumping or not breastfeeding for as long as desired- this class is for you!
- We will go over common pitfalls in the early postpartum period, if supplement is needed, risk factors and what to do about them.
Comprehensive Newborn Prep Course
A free course! Taught by a pediatrician, covering topics such as newborn care, breastfeeding, infant sleep, infant CPR and choking. Dr. Tim Porter is a board certified pediatrician and the Co-Founder & Chief Medical Officer of Modern Pediatrics. He received his M.D. from the University of Rochester in New York, before completing residency training at Northwestern University in Chicago. Dr. Tim is passionate about new parent education and is thrilled to be teaching this newborn prep curriculum to families across the country.
Disclaimer: This program is funded by a Cord Blood Banking Company. It is not recommended that you bank cord blood on the slight chance that your baby will need stem cells someday. If your baby were to need stem cells, they would probably need stem cells from someone else rather than his or her own stem cells. To learn more about cord blood banking, visit Thinking about banking your child’s cord blood? by the Government of Canada or Umbilical Cord Blood by the SOGC. Delayed cord clamping is the recommended standard of care, but cannot be done if you are choosing to collect cord blood. The benefits of delayed cord clamping include increased hemoglobin levels at birth, improved iron stores in the first several months of life, improved transitional circulation, better establishment of red blood cell volume, decreased need for blood transfusion, and lower incidence of necrotizing enterocolitis and intraventricular hemorrhage.
Tummy Talks is an organization that connects prenatal experts in their field with expectant parents. Their mandate is to bring pregnancy and newborn resources to parents to be in order to help educate and prepare them for the new and exciting phase in their life.
Registered Nurses provide a FREE live and interactive prenatal education series online.
Classes cover a range of topics including preparing for labour and birth, postpartum, breastfeeding as well as infant choking & first aid.
THRIVE Prenatal Education For A Fulfilling Birth eCourse
This Canadian course is created by a registered midwife and packed full of evidence-based content focused on the predictors of a satisfying birth, with the goal of teaching you and your support team how to make informed decisions about your health care. When you have the tools necessary to be your own advocate, regardless of the decision that has to be made, intervention offered, or complication that may arise, you’ll feel confident to position yourself at the center of your health care and own your birthing experience.
- Gaining Informed Decision-Making Skills
- Anatomy & Physiology of Birth
- Diving into the Evidence on Intervention
- Pain Management
- “Birth Plans” and Doulas
- Escalating Concerns & Providing Feedback
Cost: $149.99 CAD
Preparing For An Empowering Birth
Relaxation, Rhythm, Ritual: The 3 Rs of Childbirth
In this updated release of the 3 Rs, Penny adds a new introduction to this childbirth education classic. With newly mastered audio and brightened lighting, Penny shares 23 “scenes” from the labors and births of 10 women, illustrating with moving examples what she often refers to as “The 3 Rs of Childbirth: Relaxation, Rhythm, and Ritual.”
Cost: Rent for $4.95 or Buy for $24.95
Penny Simkin’s Childbirth Preparation for Homebirths
Join Penny on Wednesday nights for a comprehensive eight week series to fully prepare yourself to give birth in an out of hospital setting.
Weeks 1-3 will meet in conjunction with families who are planning a hospital birth, and go over all the topics of late pregnancy, the onset of labor, and working with physiologic birth.
Week 4 will meet on Tuesday, and break out the home birth families to talk about hospital interventions in the context of a transfer. (The hospital class will meet on Wednesday.)
Week 5 will have a special bonus class on Tuesday that is devoted just to practicing comfort measures, to thoroughly prepare you for working with labor contractions. Join the full cohort on Wednesday of Week 5 for a discussion about pain medications and cesarean birth.
Week 6 discusses postpartum topics, and has a labor rehearsal.
Weeks 7 & 8 are taught by a breastfeeding and newborn care specialist.
You will come away from your series feeling confident and prepared with skills to work with labor outside of the hospital, ask keyquestions about your care, communicate your preferences for birth, and transition to your new role as parent of a new tiny human!
Online Prenatal Program from the Thunder Bay District Health Unit
To REGISTER for FREE InJoy eClasses
- Visit injoyonline.com
- Click on “Create Account”
- Fill out the fields: First and Last Name, Email, Password (enter twice)
- Enter the Access Redemption Code: tbdhubaby
- Click Validate beside code (then green banner saying it validated)
- Click “Agree to terms box”
- Click “Complete”