Midwifery students may be involved in your care. If your midwife has a student working with them, they will ask your permission to have the student present for your visits and your birth.
The students with placements at our practice are from the Midwifery Education Program (MEP) at Laurentian University. The MEP is a 4-year bachelor’s degree in health sciences. The student is assigned to work with preceptors on either the blue or green team. Students play an active role in client care. They work alongside their preceptors in clinic, at home visits, and at births. They also answer pages and consult with their mentors about their care management plans.
Students in their Normal Childbearing placement are with the practice for 12 weeks. Senior students are with the practice for a calendar year.
There are many benefits of having a student involved in your care including:
- An extra pair of hands to provide labour support, or offer your partner a break at your birth.
- Continuity of care! Although you will have the opportunity to get to know all the midwives on your team, students will be in clinic as much they can for learning opportunities. Clients often develop a special relationship with their students.
- Midwifery students are learning the most up-to-date information, and are eager to research the most current evidence to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Energy and enthusiasm! Students are ready to work hard, passionate about midwifery, eager to go the extra mile, and bring fresh perspective.
- Your feedback helps students learn and become skilled, knowledgeable, and compassionate midwives.
- By having a midwifery student, you help ensure other birthing parents will have to have the option for midwifery care in the future.
A midwife teacher will always be present and nearby when you are with a student. Midwifery students are always supervised according to their skill level. It’s always your choice if you would like a student involved in your care. We always suggest you try meeting the student and see how you feel. We think students are great, and we think you will too!
Current Student Biographies